[This was written while under the influence of morphine, percocet and sleep deprivation. Needless to say, this is not my best writing]
Friday 21st:
I collect DVD’s, Web Comics, Books, and … Hernias? I’d like you all to give a big hand to Hernia #2! I’m going to call him Frank. Don’t you all go worrying about me though, I’m still having a fantastic few weeks and I wouldn’t have enjoyed tonight nearly so much had Frank never shown up.
For those or you who don’t know a hernia is a weakening and eventual hole in the tissue surrounding the intestines that the intestines then attempt to escape through. The escaping intestines can be anywhere from an inch to a foot in length and causes pain around the big squishy bump that is the displaced organ. Eventually the hole has to be repaired surgically because it won’t heal on its own. Until then one must simply try and push the intestines back in through the hole by pressing and massaging the squishy (extremely painful even when on morphine) bump. When you leave the hospital you won’t have doctors or morphine around to do the job for you and so it’s my job to literally push my intestines back into me if they start to fall out.
I wish I was making this stuff up.
But honestly, as I’ve said before I’ve had a good couple of weeks, a great few days and an enjoyable night. Sure the pain wasn’t much fun but I was lucky enough to run into Meredith, who proved to be a great friend and volunteered to take me before we knew it was serious. I got to see my mom and sister and had fun chatting with them both in the hospital and after words in their hotel room (they were coming in for the weekend and drove straight to the emergency room from the airport). The staff was nice, and it was a unique interesting experience – what more could I ask for? I think I’m actually a little excited to go into surgery (sorry Frank) just for the experience.
I used to say, “I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist.”
What was up with that?
(Pain killers may in fact have an adverse affect on writing, further testing will be pursued!)
Friday 21st:
I collect DVD’s, Web Comics, Books, and … Hernias? I’d like you all to give a big hand to Hernia #2! I’m going to call him Frank. Don’t you all go worrying about me though, I’m still having a fantastic few weeks and I wouldn’t have enjoyed tonight nearly so much had Frank never shown up.
For those or you who don’t know a hernia is a weakening and eventual hole in the tissue surrounding the intestines that the intestines then attempt to escape through. The escaping intestines can be anywhere from an inch to a foot in length and causes pain around the big squishy bump that is the displaced organ. Eventually the hole has to be repaired surgically because it won’t heal on its own. Until then one must simply try and push the intestines back in through the hole by pressing and massaging the squishy (extremely painful even when on morphine) bump. When you leave the hospital you won’t have doctors or morphine around to do the job for you and so it’s my job to literally push my intestines back into me if they start to fall out.
I wish I was making this stuff up.
But honestly, as I’ve said before I’ve had a good couple of weeks, a great few days and an enjoyable night. Sure the pain wasn’t much fun but I was lucky enough to run into Meredith, who proved to be a great friend and volunteered to take me before we knew it was serious. I got to see my mom and sister and had fun chatting with them both in the hospital and after words in their hotel room (they were coming in for the weekend and drove straight to the emergency room from the airport). The staff was nice, and it was a unique interesting experience – what more could I ask for? I think I’m actually a little excited to go into surgery (sorry Frank) just for the experience.
I used to say, “I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist.”
What was up with that?
(Pain killers may in fact have an adverse affect on writing, further testing will be pursued!)
2 Comments:
funny how we used to say that eh? now i think it is bull, at least it is for me, to be pessistimistic is not realist, but only the realism that u want to see, that being the negativity and the possibility of negativity, and therefore seeing many things in a dark light even before there is any aftermath... at least that's how i see it, feel better.
i don't think you were ever truely pessimistic or realistic - you were happy in between that would sometimes slip off course....
Post a Comment
<< Home