Impractical Musings
My life is full of impractical musings - it's easy to get sidelined on a tangent of a tangent of a tangent and end up in in the proverbial Moscow or Johannesburg (ie. a continent away from where I've started). More distressingly I occasionally manage to end up in the proverbial Minnesota or South Dakota (ie. nowhere).
These tangents of tangents tend towards the ridiculous and the extreme, as every layer of abstractions further removes them from the real world (and brings them closer to the world I live in, which all of my friends will tell you has very little in common with the 'real world'). I'm not particularly serious about these things but they're fun to think about and so I'd like to take some time to explore some of these.
Therefore I'm going to post a series of "Impractical Musings" as they come up and I have time to flesh them out/don't get distracted before finishing. I know that posts promising future posts is lame, like a promise to make a promise at some point in the future; if I were serious I would just do it in one go. But I'm rarely serious for any length of time (see the beginning of this post), and I like to polish to death anything released for public consumption (this very sentence was added the day after the original post), so normally very little gets released. This blog might as well be blank next to what it might have been save for these qualities, and therefore this is a necessary intermediate step to stave off more emptiness.
Here are some topics languishing in my drafts folder:
- Possible uses for superconductors (hint: not toaster filaments)
- Applications for portable industrial water jets cutters. (Security system/Construction/James Bond Cars)
- Look into metabolism differences for guys and girls.
- Introducing a per child tax (...and the associated game theory)
Hope you hear more on these topics soon!
My life is full of impractical musings - it's easy to get sidelined on a tangent of a tangent of a tangent and end up in in the proverbial Moscow or Johannesburg (ie. a continent away from where I've started). More distressingly I occasionally manage to end up in the proverbial Minnesota or South Dakota (ie. nowhere).
These tangents of tangents tend towards the ridiculous and the extreme, as every layer of abstractions further removes them from the real world (and brings them closer to the world I live in, which all of my friends will tell you has very little in common with the 'real world'). I'm not particularly serious about these things but they're fun to think about and so I'd like to take some time to explore some of these.
Therefore I'm going to post a series of "Impractical Musings" as they come up and I have time to flesh them out/don't get distracted before finishing. I know that posts promising future posts is lame, like a promise to make a promise at some point in the future; if I were serious I would just do it in one go. But I'm rarely serious for any length of time (see the beginning of this post), and I like to polish to death anything released for public consumption (this very sentence was added the day after the original post), so normally very little gets released. This blog might as well be blank next to what it might have been save for these qualities, and therefore this is a necessary intermediate step to stave off more emptiness.
Here are some topics languishing in my drafts folder:
- Possible uses for superconductors (hint: not toaster filaments)
- Applications for portable industrial water jets cutters. (Security system/Construction/James Bond Cars)
- Look into metabolism differences for guys and girls.
- Introducing a per child tax (...and the associated game theory)
Hope you hear more on these topics soon!
Labels: blogging, calories, impractical musings, superconductor, taxs, water jet
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home