I know I haven't posted in a while, and the last post wasn't particularly pleasant so I'd like to clear a few things up for everyone out there.
The reason I haven't posted in a while is because I've felt like the last post deserved a follow up and I'm mindful of my audience. It wasn't the time or the place to take it up with her and so I held off on updating. Even now I don't think I want to go into it in full detail, but rest assured that it has turned out in what is presently for the best.
If you'd like to know more about it then that feel free to talk to me, I know I'd be happy to explain it. For those of my friends I talked to at the time, thanks for listening to me sort out my thoughts, and for those of you whom I did not talk to; don't worry, it's not because I didn't feel like I could, it's probably just that at the time you weren't next to me (or online) and thus a good victim. Rest assured if you are standing unfortunately close to me next time I need to use someone as a whipping board when sorting out my mind, you'll be the first I turn too.
That event aside, I am happy with my life as is usually the case. Why mention it here you ask? Haven't you been sickeningly happy ever since going to Duke?
No, although this is a common misconception - occasionally I am only slightly nauseating in my happiness. These last few days have certainly qualified...
While the weekend was a great success and probably deserves a post all of its own, it left me with little chance to get the amount of work done that needed to be done. And work certainly needed doing, for never have I had a week so packed with work as this one. At this very moment I'm procrastinating two papers and two problem sets of math! And that, my friends, is just for tonight! Good times eh? This, in and of itself does not bother me. Work is, in fact (most of the time), an enjoyable pastime however much I dread beginning it. No my friends, the discomfort stemmed from the future! More accurately, my discomfort came from the direction in which my future was headed.
"But (Toronto) Dave", you ask, "When have you ever worried about getting a job? Your path towards certain poverty has never before worried you!"
Ah you are correct! That is not the future I speak of, no, the future I speak of is composed entirely of physics courses. I find that physics is my least favorite course among those I currently attend, and know that as time goes on I will have to devote more of my time and schedule to the voracious beast of science. It is not that I want to drop my major in physics, far from it, but simply that I want more time to devote, not only too my other major (philosophy, which I love above all others) but to whatever strikes my fancy. I am coming out of the academic closet... I, David Rowe Garver, am a humanities lover.
There, I've said it.
Picking my schedule for next year suddenly no longer filled me with joy in ways unmatched by candy, the same joy I had happily devoted hours of my life to in the past, no, it was now filled with gut wrenching horror. Physics appeared to own my life! I did not want this! But what option did I have? Could I become little more than a philosophy major with a dinky little physics minor? No... I can not. But what is then left to me? Am I doomed to hate that which I once loved and wished to devote my life to?
And then a light! There was another option peering up from the darkness, one I had once dismissed out of hand. Now though, now it would become my salvation.
I am no longer going to do graduate work in physics, and so what does a Bachelor of Science matter? It does not, and so, from the ashes of my old major a new, friendlier major arises. The Bachelor of Arts in physics! Hurray! I'm an Arts major now friends and it feels glorious. Cast away the tight reigns of the B.S. and join me in freedom! Embrace the humanities! Hooray!
...
I hate to overuse exclamation marks, and in the last few paragraphs I've beaten them half to death. Please forgive this small abuse of the English language...
I think I'll take a Lit course in place of a math course next semester to celebrate my new status as a humanities major.
Oh, I won't clutter my blog by posting this in full here, but follow the link if you want to see a few things you may or may not have known about me.
The idea is that you bold that which is true, and leave that which is not in regular form. Some of you will probably be suprised by a few of the things I write. If you have a problem with anything you read please take it up with me, I assure you I am not a bad person.
Recently I've been in a rather social mood, and so I'm attempting to regain contact with those of you I have sorrowfully neglected. If you feel like you haven't seen (or heard) much of (from) me, take a moment to get in contact. Chances are I'd like to see/speak to you. Time to get back to those papers,
Ciao,
Dave
The reason I haven't posted in a while is because I've felt like the last post deserved a follow up and I'm mindful of my audience. It wasn't the time or the place to take it up with her and so I held off on updating. Even now I don't think I want to go into it in full detail, but rest assured that it has turned out in what is presently for the best.
If you'd like to know more about it then that feel free to talk to me, I know I'd be happy to explain it. For those of my friends I talked to at the time, thanks for listening to me sort out my thoughts, and for those of you whom I did not talk to; don't worry, it's not because I didn't feel like I could, it's probably just that at the time you weren't next to me (or online) and thus a good victim. Rest assured if you are standing unfortunately close to me next time I need to use someone as a whipping board when sorting out my mind, you'll be the first I turn too.
That event aside, I am happy with my life as is usually the case. Why mention it here you ask? Haven't you been sickeningly happy ever since going to Duke?
No, although this is a common misconception - occasionally I am only slightly nauseating in my happiness. These last few days have certainly qualified...
While the weekend was a great success and probably deserves a post all of its own, it left me with little chance to get the amount of work done that needed to be done. And work certainly needed doing, for never have I had a week so packed with work as this one. At this very moment I'm procrastinating two papers and two problem sets of math! And that, my friends, is just for tonight! Good times eh? This, in and of itself does not bother me. Work is, in fact (most of the time), an enjoyable pastime however much I dread beginning it. No my friends, the discomfort stemmed from the future! More accurately, my discomfort came from the direction in which my future was headed.
"But (Toronto) Dave", you ask, "When have you ever worried about getting a job? Your path towards certain poverty has never before worried you!"
Ah you are correct! That is not the future I speak of, no, the future I speak of is composed entirely of physics courses. I find that physics is my least favorite course among those I currently attend, and know that as time goes on I will have to devote more of my time and schedule to the voracious beast of science. It is not that I want to drop my major in physics, far from it, but simply that I want more time to devote, not only too my other major (philosophy, which I love above all others) but to whatever strikes my fancy. I am coming out of the academic closet... I, David Rowe Garver, am a humanities lover.
There, I've said it.
Picking my schedule for next year suddenly no longer filled me with joy in ways unmatched by candy, the same joy I had happily devoted hours of my life to in the past, no, it was now filled with gut wrenching horror. Physics appeared to own my life! I did not want this! But what option did I have? Could I become little more than a philosophy major with a dinky little physics minor? No... I can not. But what is then left to me? Am I doomed to hate that which I once loved and wished to devote my life to?
And then a light! There was another option peering up from the darkness, one I had once dismissed out of hand. Now though, now it would become my salvation.
I am no longer going to do graduate work in physics, and so what does a Bachelor of Science matter? It does not, and so, from the ashes of my old major a new, friendlier major arises. The Bachelor of Arts in physics! Hurray! I'm an Arts major now friends and it feels glorious. Cast away the tight reigns of the B.S. and join me in freedom! Embrace the humanities! Hooray!
...
I hate to overuse exclamation marks, and in the last few paragraphs I've beaten them half to death. Please forgive this small abuse of the English language...
I think I'll take a Lit course in place of a math course next semester to celebrate my new status as a humanities major.
Oh, I won't clutter my blog by posting this in full here, but follow the link if you want to see a few things you may or may not have known about me.
The idea is that you bold that which is true, and leave that which is not in regular form. Some of you will probably be suprised by a few of the things I write. If you have a problem with anything you read please take it up with me, I assure you I am not a bad person.
Recently I've been in a rather social mood, and so I'm attempting to regain contact with those of you I have sorrowfully neglected. If you feel like you haven't seen (or heard) much of (from) me, take a moment to get in contact. Chances are I'd like to see/speak to you. Time to get back to those papers,
Ciao,
Dave
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home